Friday, December 28, 2012

Does Google AdWords Favor Bigger Companies?

Does Google AdWords Favor Bigger Companies?Does Google play favorites when it comes to paid search advertisers and large brands/companies? The short answer is probably not. However, it is something I've often speculated. While performing a couple of vanity searches on behalf of my client I happen to notice that a competitor's ad was featuring a slightly larger than normal ad-title.

Does Google AdWords Favor Bigger Companies?

Does Google play favorites when it comes to paid search advertisers and large brands/companies? The short answer is probably not. However, it is something I've often speculated. While performing a couple of vanity searches on behalf of my client I happen to notice that a competitor's ad was featuring a slightly larger than normal ad-title. This stuck out to me immediately because it is a title that my client wanted to use, but couldn't because of character limitations.

Google AdWords enforces a 25-character limit for all ad-titles, or so I've been told. This is to say that an advertisement's title can be no longer than 25-characters, including spaces. If this were true, than how is possible that Amazon is able to display a paid search ad featuring a 27-character title?

Does Google AdWords Favor Bigger Companies?

I will give Google AdWords the benefit of the doubt and suggest that this is none other than an editorial oversight, or a glitch that has occurred with the use of their 'Keyword Implementation' feature. However, I still can't help but wonder if these additional 2-characters aren't a part of a special privilege given to bigger brands like Amazon. What else do they get a way with that others aren't able to? Conspiracy theorists unite!

Thoughts?

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blog-and-newsletter/~3/OnsgB8MvDns/google-adwords-allowing-27-character.html

Timothy Hearn Tim Koogle Thierry Breton Manfred Wennemer Peter Brabeck-Letmathe

No comments:

Post a Comment